It is a saturday winter morning, the weather is not too cold since the sun is shinning bright. Saturday is usually a day packed with activities with the family for some, while for others, it is a day to kick back a relax or recover from the long work week. All the same, a hearty, quick and easy breakfast will serve just right.
Fried plantains and scrambled eggs are a delicious combination and can be prepared fairly quickly. Plantains are commonly used in a variety of dishes across many cultures, such as the African culture, Hispanic and Caribbean cultures. The sweet taste of ripened plantains and starchy texture when un-ripened, lends itself to both sweet and savory dishes. The exterior of unripe plantains are green and hard to the touch, while the exterior of ripe plantains are yellow or yellowish brown.
Green bell pepper was used in preparing the eggs. The green bell pepper gives the eggs a unique and delicious flavor and aroma.
Ingredients: for two servings
• 2 large plantains
• 4 eggs
• 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
• 1/2 small onion, chopped
• 6 slices of tomatoes for garnishing
• 1 cup of canola oil (alternatively use vegetable oil or olive oil)
• 1/8 tsp curry powder (Caribbean curry)
• Salt, black pepper and a pinch of Knorr chicken bouillon
Only one serving displayed in the picture.
- Peel and slice plantain
- Heat oil in a pan and fry plantains . Since this is not deep-frying, fry a couple of plantains at a time. Don’t stack the plantains on top of each other, to avoid the plantains sticking together.
- Take out plantains when golden brown on both sides.Sprinkle a little salt on the plantains while hot.
- Crack eggs into a small bowl, add chopped onions, chopped green bell pepper, curry, a pinch of salt, black pepper and Knorr chicken bouillon . Whisk and fry eggs in 3 tbsp of heated canola oil. Scramble eggs with a fork while frying.
Dish out plantains, eggs and garnish with 3 slices of fresh tomatoes for each serving. Serve fried plantains and scrambled eggs with your favorite breakfast juice. For this recipe, cranberry and orange juice were used. Enjoy!